Only eight weeks remain to our stay in The Netherlands, and though I've done my fair share of complaining about our life abroad, I've been able to find some peace here in recent weeks. Perhaps I'm simply more comfortable with my surroundings (I don't sweat quite as much in the grocery store) or maybe I am happier now than I was, say, in January, because the end is in sight (May 17th!). Without a doubt, it has been helpful that we have been treated to one or the mildest winters on record here in Holland (while our family and friends suffered through one of the worst). Another reason for a change in attitude has been upcoming visits with friends and family; we have been busy planning and preparing for visits with Deb and Steve, Chris, and Matt and Kerri - all throughout the month of April.
As the weather has improved and the season has officially changed, we have found more to do outside of our Little Dutch House, which is a good thing, because it's a LITTLE Dutch House. We've been taking longer walks along the Twente Canal or around the Castle Twickel. We've located new parks/playground areas and even attempted an impromptu play date of sorts with two little Dutch boys who live a couple houses away from us. A couple weeks ago, we visited a local petting farm and considered leaving the twins to live amongst the other animals there, and today, we traveled across the border to Muenster, Germany for the Send Spring Festival.
The festival, which took place in front of the local castle, compared to the midway and expo center buildings of the Wisconsin State Fair. The festival grounds were lined with booths where vendors displayed their T-shirts, scarves, and cleaning products, and food carts selling brats, pretzels, candy, pickles, potatoes, and more. Scattered across the grounds were carnival games and rides, which included one of the biggest Ferris wheels that we've seen!
It didn't take us long to begin eating our way through the festival just as we would at the State Fair! After a 1/2 meter brat, a mozzarella tomato pretzel, a plate of homemade seasoned chips, a cherry Nutella crepe, and two beers, we were pleasantly stuffed! And though Maddie and Will most certainly would have liked to escape the confines of their stroller, they seemed happy with their visit, too - especially after we bought them each a balloon to hold. On our walk back to our car, we joked that anyone who was on the fence about going to the festival would be convinced of the fun that they could have when they passed Maddie and Will as they waved their balloons in the air and shouted, "Yay!"
The Send Festival may have shared similarities with the Wisconsin State Fair, but there's simply nothing like our State Fair and visiting it with the ones we love! We are already looking forward to it!
 |
| One of the first carts that we passed was selling the Lebenkuchen necklaces that we made the mistake of buying at the Frankfurt Weihnachtsmarkt. We knew better than to buy any this go-around! |
 |
| Why, yes, we will stop for a 1/2 meter bratwurst. |
 |
| It's no mistake that the word "MAGIC" can be seen in the background as Jim takes the first bite. |
 |
| I couldn't get enough of the ferris wheel...or the big cotton candy clouds behind it. |
 |
| I made it my mission to photograph the wheel from all angles! |
 |
| As I was editing these shots, I noticed that very few - if any - of the ferris wheel cars were occupied! |
 |
| True story: I have never been on a legitimate ferris wheel. |
 |
| After putting down a pretzel and a brat, we were in dire need of a drink! We stopped at a Biergarten with a fantastic view of the ferris wheel and swings. |
 |
| I couldn't stop taking pictures. |
 |
| It was just too much! |
 |
| I wasn't the only one enamored with the Ferris wheel. |
 |
| Maddie was mesmerized by the swings. |
 |
| After we pulled away from the swings, Maddie suddenly launched a full-on meltdown...and then, as if it was meant to be, a balloon seller appeared before us. We quickly purchased two balloons. Those tears immediately dried up! Best 6 Euro we've ever spent! |
 |
| A sweet finish to our visit: A cherry Nutella crepe... |
 |
| and one more picture of the frickin' Ferris wheel. |
 |
| I don't know how this man does his job without eating all of the Nutella! |
 |
| The sun continued to shine through the puffy clouds on our way back to the car, but raindrops began to fall just minutes into our drive home. Perfect timing! |
0 comments:
Post a Comment