Monday, November 11, 2013

Photo Walk: Twente Canal, Aparthotel Delden

Yesterday afternoon, Jim accidentally spilled a glass of iced tea across our gas stove top.  Although he quickly wiped up the spill, moisture must have seeped into or on one of the electric igniters, causing it to continuously click over...and over...and over again.  When we went online to research the problem and how it could be STOPPED (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!), we learned that we would need to allow it to dry before the clicking...clicking...clicking would come to an end.  Using a hair dryer could help speed up the process, but without a hair dryer in the home, we were left to listen to the noise.  After just a few short minutes of the sound, I couldn't take it anymore!  I changed into some comfortable walking shoes, grabbed my camera, and left with the hope that either the noise would stop while I was away or that the walk in the fresh air would give me the patience to cope with the clicking when I returned.  

I left our bungalow park with no clear destination in mind, and wound up finding my way to the Twente Canal located about 15 minutes from our house.  It's via the canal that Sinterklaas (St. Nick) and Zwarte Piet (Black Pete) will make their arrival in Delden just a few weeks from now.  Since our arrival here, we have heard about the impending arrival of Sinterklaas from every local that we have met.  On November 24th, people will gather at the canal to greet Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet.  From what we have heard, children wear Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet hats, candies and cookies are thrown to the children, and there is a parade of people in the street.  We plan to be there, of course.  It's all anyone seems to talk about, so it must be worth all the fuss!

From the canal I walked back towards De Mors, taking a short detour around the nearby hotel and along its golf course.  

I came back to the house about an hour after I had left, and although the stove was still clicking, clicking, clicking, I was able to tolerate the noise better than I had before the walk.

While I was walking yesterday, I decided that I should get into a routine of taking a walk around Delden or another nearby town to give myself some time alone as well as the opportunity to use my camera without feeling as though I'm holding up the group.  Next Sunday, I hope to take a photo walk through "downtown" Delden.

The clicking stopped late last night.  

I cried tears of happiness and relief.




Along the Twente Canal






Along a road leading back into Delden


Looping around the Aparthotel Delden










Empty bike racks outside of the local soccer club

0 comments:

Post a Comment