Last fall, we were so consumed with preparations for our move to The Netherlands that we didn't enjoy fall festivities as much as we would have liked. Sure, we were able to check some activities off our list - we went apple picking and visited some local farms, I took the twins out trick-or-treating and we took a few walks in the crisp autumn air. It seems as though everything that we did, though, was done with a sense of panic and hurry as our move overseas loomed closer.
This year, though, is different. This year, the twins and I have truly been able to soak up the season. We've gone apple picking - twice; we've made enough applesauce to last us into the cold winter months. We've admired the changing colors of the trees in our yard and neighborhood. We've jumped, raked, and played in the leaves; Will has even joyfully driven his tricycle down the driveway and into the huge leaf piles across the street once or twice! We were regulars at the local farmer's market, now closed until next year. We've baked pumpkin bread and apple muffins. We've brought pumpkins home from the farmer's market, the local garden center, and a pumpkin patch. We've carved and colored those pumpkins. We've indulged in apple cider and pumpkin spice puppy chow. We created a leaf collage, attended a Halloween craft party, and have dressed in costumes a few times. And throughout it all, we (I) never felt rushed or worried about what the future held as I did last year.
We've been so busy with such fall fun that I've neglected the ol' blog - not that anyone but my mother has really noticed. So, in an effort to both appease my mother and to document the wonderful memories we've made, I present the following fall snapshots:
 |
| This fall was especially exciting because we actually had leaves - and LOTS of them - falling to the ground! The young trees in our old neighborhood never produced many leaves. |
 |
| Our first trip to an apple orchard this fall was a bust; we took NO apples home with us. We did steal a few apples from the boxes of apples that others were "picking" from to pacify the twins on our walk back to the car. |
 |
| With falling leaves comes clean-up. Fortunately, Will seems to actually enjoy raking leaves! |
 |
| He begged to rake on more than one occasion. |
 |
| It was fun to collect leaves of all colors, shapes, and sizes from around our neighborhood! |
 |
| We took several walks and bike rides around our leaf-covered court. |
 |
| The leaves were at their most beautiful and plentiful after rain had fallen overnight. |
 |
| Maddie was just enamored with all of the beautiful fall colors as I was. |
 |
| We tackled the Haunted Corn Maze at Lindner Pumpkin Farm not once, but twice, this fall! |
 |
| If there's a tractor, Will will want to ride it! |
 |
| The twins like to "climb" some birch trees in the neighborhood. |
 |
| When we weren't climbing trees, we were climbing on a playground! |
 |
| Maddie and Will got such a kick out of using my Pampered Chef apple peeler/corer/slicer! |
 |
| I had to remedy our failed attempt at apple picking with a trip to a much smaller apple orchard the day after we wasted our time and money at the orchard to which we won't be returning. There were plenty of apples to pick, and better yet, they were at the twins' height. |
 |
| One of my little apple pickers! |
 |
| Enjoying the fruits of their labor! |
 |
| When Jim brought the contents of our storage unit home, the twins quickly found and tried on the cowboy hats that I had packed amongst my teaching materials! |
 |
| Pants are optional when cooking in our kitchen. |
 |
| Mixing up some muffins! |
 |
| The twins have been helping me scout out locations for pictures for some friends this fall. We visited Covered Bridge Park in early October. |
 |
| Peek-a-Boo! |
 |
| The makings of a leaf fight... |
 |
| Got you! |
 |
| Retaliation. |
 |
| I see you! |
 |
| Weeee! |
 |
| Cool dude! |
 |
| Will's wheels |
 |
| I was so excited to put Will in that matching shirt and hat for the first time! |
 |
| Maddie "crafted" with Grandma at the neighborhood party! |
 |
| My monster man |
 |
| Leafy fun! |
 |
| It was a sad day when those leaf piles were taken away. |
 |
| Joy. |
 |
| Maddie often likes to pretend that she is Elsa from Frozen. Here, she is letting her "powers" go as she throws the leaves into the air. |
 |
| Will loved to lay in the leaf piles! |
 |
| I forced the pumpkin hats that I had bought for the twins when they were infants on their heads again this fall. I have a feeling I won't be able to do that next year. |
 |
| He made the leaf pile look so comfortable...until I thought about how many dogs probably stopped in the very spot in which Will was laying. |
1 comments:
Your mom isn't the only one who enjoys reading your blog and seeing the photos! Keep it coming.
Post a Comment