Sunday, May 22, 2011

SOLD!

After weeks, if not months, of preparation, the Summit View Chair-ity Auction and Carnival was held yesterday.  Rain showers forced the event to take place entirely indoors and may have deterred some people from attending, but I would still consider the event a success (especially in its first year).  I'm sure that I'll learn of the final totals this week, but the Chair-ity Auction itself raised at least $7500 for the school.  The money will be used to buy technology for the building. 

My own piece sold for $675.  Two bidders went back and forth on pricing, moving the selling price higher and higher.  Finally, one bidder bowed out, and the wine cabinet went for $675 to a relative of one of my own students.  Not only was I glad that the cabinet was able to generate such a large amount of money for the school, but I was also happy because that the hours of work that was put into the cabinet was rewarded.  I spent very little money on the cabinet because of donations from families, but, as you have read, I did put a lot of time into the piece.

Sue, Matt, and Dakota joined my mom, Jim, and me at yesterday's Auction.  Dakota enjoyed playing carnival games with her mom and dad while my mom, Jim, and I watched the Auction.  Having never attended a live auction before, I was entertained by the back-and-forth haggling over some of the items.  It was interesting to see how high some items and how low others items sold for.  I walked away with a Birthday Chair for my classroom after placing an uncontested $50 bid for it. 

I learned a couple weeks ago that this will be annual event at our school.  I'm already thinking about what I might make next year.  I'd love to make a replica of either of the two desks below.  What do you think?
At the Auction

The Craft Dresser seen above was made my one of my first grade colleagues.  It sold for $425!
My finished wine cabinet on display in the front lobby of the school

Side view of cabinet
I realized this morning that I never took a picture of the inside of the drawer once it was finished.  I used Mod Podge to apply wine labels to the interior of the drawer.  Here is a vertical shot of the drawer before I applied the Mod Podge.

I think that my students will enjoy sitting in this chair on their birthdays!

I love the colors on this desk!

This one is fun, too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment