After we fell in love with the Frankfurt Weihnachtsmarkt two weeks ago, Jim and I were anxious to experience at least one more Christmas market before we returned home for the Holidays. We had hoped to get to another German market, but between weather, work, and illnesses, it just wasn't in the cards for us.
We had been told of the Kerstmarkt (Christmas market) coming to our town weeks ago; we were also told not to expect much from it. Yet when it didn't look like we would make it to Germany this weekend, we decided to join the locals at the market along the main street of our town just to get out of our Little Dutch House for a while.
The Kerstmarkt didn't compare to the market in Frankfurt on any level, but it was nonetheless quaint, festive, and fun! And, it was just a short car ride away! We were able to drive to the market, take a quick tour, stuff our faces with sausage and apple dumplings, and return home in the same amount of time that it probably would have taken us to reach the nearest German market!
Although being apart from family and friends was difficult on my birthday and on Thanksgiving Day, I am glad that we have had the opportunity to experience Christmastime in Europe.
That said, I will be even GLADDER to be home for Christmas!
 |
| Before we even left our Little Dutch House, we could smell the wood-burning fires that lined the streets of the Kerstmarkt. |
 |
| We soon learned that the fire pits were not only used to provide light and warmth, but also for roasting miniature marshmallows! Pictured above is a family doing just that! |
 |
| Most of the booths along the street sold craft items, ornaments, antiques, and souvenirs. Several vendors offered gluhwein and warm chocolate milk. |
 |
| After we had already scarfed down some sausages, we stopped next for some warm appelbollen (apple dumplings). Maddie and Will were big fans. |
 |
| They were also big fans of the SOLID CHOCOLATE WREATHS that we gave them by mistake later in the evening. We thought that we were handing them complimentary cookies; it wasn't until I took a bite into one that we realized that the twins had each eaten nearly an entire chocolate wreath! |
 |
| Most of the food vendors were found in this area. It was at one of these booths that Jim found a ham sandwich that rocked his world. |
 |
| By the time I returned to the market, the crowd had thinned out some. |
 |
| I thought it would be easiest for me to take pictures and shop if I came back alone. Shopping wasn't a problem, but I'm learning that it is hard to blend in with my camera around my neck. It doesn't seem as though many Dutch people carry cameras...and if they do, they aren't of the size that mine is. I can only imagine the looks I would get if I had been lugging around a tripod - which I really need to start doing for decent night photography. |
 |
| After taking this picture, a man asked me (in Dutch) what my camera settings were. We struck up a conversation (in English) about our cameras (He had a much older Canon DSLR). |
 |
| A few minutes later, I was taking pictures of this band when another gentleman asked me (in Dutch) if I was taking pictures for the local paper. When I replied, "I'm sorry, I don't speak Dutch" (in English), I think he knew that I was NOT taking pictures for the local newspaper. |
 |
| Until last night, I had only shopped the windows of the stores in town, too afraid to take the twins into a small space decorated with breakable merchandise. It was nice to finally see what was on the other side of the windows! |
 |
| After about an hour of shopping and photography, my legs were tired and my hands were cold! It was time to go home! |
0 comments:
Post a Comment