Sunday, February 7, 2010

Good Eats: Creamy Pesto Pasta

Today's Good Eats recipe is an oldie, but a goodie. This meal is one of the first "real" meals that I ever cooked. I distinctly remember shopping for the ingredients (at the Delafield Sentry) and making the meal in our Mountain Village apartment. The recipe was obviously a keeper, as I still make the meal now and then. Enjoy!

Recipe for: Creamy Pesto Pasta
From: Better Homes and Garden New Cookbook

Ingredients:
3 cups dried rigatoni, rotini or mostaccioli
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 of an 8 ounce package reduced fat cream cheese
1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons dry white wine
*Cooked chicken (optional)

Directions:
1. Cook rigatoni about 15 minutes or until tender but still firm. Drain; keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, for sauce, cook basil and garlic in hot oil about 30 seconds. Reduce heat. Add cream cheese, cottage cheese, and Parmesan cheese. Heat and stir till nearly smooth. Stir in parsley, wine, and 1/2 cup water. Cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Add milk or water, if necessary, to reach desired consistency. Serve sauce over rigatoni.

*I throw some cooked chicken into the pasta every so often.

2 comments:

Purpletoes said...

Looks yummy! I have the same cookbook so I'll have to check this one out. I've made something similar and I like to add shrimp.

Jj said...

This sounds delicious! And it's actually something I have most of the ingredients for!

Post a Comment