Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Firewood Folly

Last week, I didn't feel as though I was very productive. Sure, I accomplished a few tasks, but I otherwise wasted a lot of time. So on Sunday, I made a list of chores that I wanted to complete while I have the time off this summer. One of those jobs was to order firewood so that we had an adequate supply to fuel the fires in our outdoor fire pit this summer and the fires in our fireplace this fall/winter.

Having never ordered wood before, I wasn't sure how much to order. I was guessing that we have about 10 fires in the summer, and about the same number of fires during the colder months. I called a local supplier and inquired about the amount of wood that came in a cord, 1/2 cord, and a face cord. I was told that a face cord was equivalent to 200 logs. It is at this point that I SHOULD have ordered a face cord, which would have been plenty of fuel for our estimated 20 fires per year. But when I was told that we could get a half cord (300 logs) for a mere 30 dollars more, I agreed to the delivery of a half cord of firewood the next day. You know me and a bargain!

It wasn't until yesterday morning, when a delivery truck dumped a MOUNTAIN of logs in our driveway, that I began to realize my mistake: I had ordered far too much firewood! I had no idea where we were going to go with all of it! With some moving, shifting, and purging over the course of the day, I was able to stack most of the wood at the back of the garage. When Jim came home, we stacked the remaining firewood in the back corner of the garage and in the garden behind the garage. As we worked, we were both embarrassed by the large stack of wood that we now have in our garage. We wondered what the stack of wood must have looked like to the neighbors who walked past our house. With the amount of firewood that we have, we may not need to use our furnace this winter - we'll heat the house with a constant fire in the fireplace!

So...if you're in desperate need of firewood, you know who to call!

A half cord of wood covered most of our driveway yesterday morning.

What was I thinking?!?

Some creative maneuvering and a day later, the half cord of wood is now neatly stacked at the back of the garage.

Thankfully, this stack of wood won't take up room in our garden too long - Brian and Veronica will be taking it off our hands!

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am not sure if I am right or not, but I thought I heard it somewhere that it is not good to store the wood in the garage(or anywhere inside)...something to do with bugs(ants...in particular...maybe...) Just something to look into.

Post a Comment