
Over the last few years, I have come to love the summer months for the rummages that they bring. I love the thrill of the hunt and the pleasure that comes with finding a good bargain. Sure, I often need to sort through piles of junk to uncover the gems. With patience and a little time, however, I can walk away from most sales with at least one item for the classroom or home.
For me, the season's unofficial start came at the beginning of June, when our subdivision holds its annual neighborhood sale. If you'll recall, my friend Veronica and I make sure to shop one specific sale in the subdivision each year. It was at that sale last year that I bought several J. Crew sweaters, a pair of GAP jeans that quickly became my favorite pair of jeans, Express crop pants, and $20 Ugg boots. As we have done each year for the last four years, Veronica and I once again headed to my neighbor's garage in curious anticipation of what we might find there. As it turns out, our shopaholic friend appears to have lost some weight over the last year. She was selling piles of workout wear and fewer jeans, pants, sweaters, and skirts. It wasn't exactly what we expected to buy from her, but we both purchased some of the sweatshirts and jackets that she was selling. I don't particularly like to pay full price on athletic gear, so I grabbed as many sweatshirts and jackets as I could buy for $5 -$10 apiece (We're talking about brand new Adidas and Nike sweatshirts/jackets that probably retail around $50!). I also found a pair of AnnTaylor LOFT dress pants and a Ralph Lauren skirt that I hope to fit into once I shed a few pounds (Damn that bitch for losing weight!).
Since the kick-off of the rummage season a few weeks ago, I have continued to shop for bargains in garages. Over the last few weeks, I have purchased a Wisconsin Badger fleece blanket that will keep my hiney warm at Badger Football games this fall, a pair of Champion shoes, a $3 book shelf that will look as good as new once I paint it, boxes of recess games for my first grade classroom, and over 100 books for my classroom library.
Rummaging is the way to go; it seems so silly to pay full price for items that you might find for a small fraction of the cost at a rummage! It's not for everyone, though. It does require a fair amount of patience and time, both of which I'm lucky to have!
For me, the season's unofficial start came at the beginning of June, when our subdivision holds its annual neighborhood sale. If you'll recall, my friend Veronica and I make sure to shop one specific sale in the subdivision each year. It was at that sale last year that I bought several J. Crew sweaters, a pair of GAP jeans that quickly became my favorite pair of jeans, Express crop pants, and $20 Ugg boots. As we have done each year for the last four years, Veronica and I once again headed to my neighbor's garage in curious anticipation of what we might find there. As it turns out, our shopaholic friend appears to have lost some weight over the last year. She was selling piles of workout wear and fewer jeans, pants, sweaters, and skirts. It wasn't exactly what we expected to buy from her, but we both purchased some of the sweatshirts and jackets that she was selling. I don't particularly like to pay full price on athletic gear, so I grabbed as many sweatshirts and jackets as I could buy for $5 -$10 apiece (We're talking about brand new Adidas and Nike sweatshirts/jackets that probably retail around $50!). I also found a pair of AnnTaylor LOFT dress pants and a Ralph Lauren skirt that I hope to fit into once I shed a few pounds (Damn that bitch for losing weight!).
Since the kick-off of the rummage season a few weeks ago, I have continued to shop for bargains in garages. Over the last few weeks, I have purchased a Wisconsin Badger fleece blanket that will keep my hiney warm at Badger Football games this fall, a pair of Champion shoes, a $3 book shelf that will look as good as new once I paint it, boxes of recess games for my first grade classroom, and over 100 books for my classroom library.
Rummaging is the way to go; it seems so silly to pay full price for items that you might find for a small fraction of the cost at a rummage! It's not for everyone, though. It does require a fair amount of patience and time, both of which I'm lucky to have!







0 comments:
Post a Comment