When I grow up, I want to be just like Cara Carroll. Who's Cara Carroll, you ask? Why, she's the first grade teacher, mother, and author of not one, but three amazing blogs: Life with Team Carroll, Pearls, Handcuffs, and Happy Hour, and The First Grade Parade. I stumbled upon this inspiring woman when I was looking for first grade teacher blogs. First Grade Parade is chock full of great teaching ideas from Cara's first grade classroom, Life with Team Carroll is the blog devoted to Cara's family, while Pearls, Handcuffs and Happy Hour offers recipes and decorating ideas. How does this girl do it? She teaches, has a family, cooks awesome meals and completes cute craft projects...and has time to write about it all?!? Maybe she's on speed.
This week, Jim and I tried one of the meals, Chicken Enchilada Pasta, that Cara recommends on her Pearls... blog. As she promises on her blog, the pasta was "DANG GOOD"! So good, in fact, that I ate it for three meals in a row! And we didn't even top the pasta with anything! I can only imagine how good the pasta may have been topped with some guac and fresh tomatoes! I can't wait to try some of the other recipes that she has on her site (Smothered Chicken, anyone?).
You must, must, MUST try this meal. In the meantime, check out Cara's blogs - just don't be surprised if she leaves you feeling completely inadequate.
Recipe for: Chicken Enchilada Pasta
From: Pearls, Handcuffs, and Happy Hour
Ingredients:
2 to 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (or shredded rotisserie chicken - I used the breasts)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
2 (10 oz.) cans green chili enchilada sauce
2/3 cups red enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded Co-Jack
1 cup sour cream
Penne pasta
Optional Toppings:
Avocado
Green onions
Black olives
Tomatoes
Sour cream
Directions:
1. Cook chicken, drain, and shred (or shred your rotisserie). Meanwhile, boil pasta according to directions on package and chop the veggies.
2. Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet and cook onions for about 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Add cooked chicken, green chiles, cumin, chili power, salt, and enchilada sauces. Let sauce simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes.
4. Add cheese and stir until the cheese is melted and heated through. Now toss in the sour cream, but whatever you do, DO NOT bring to a boil! Cook on low heat or the sour cream will curdle. Stir until sour cream is well mixed and heated through.
5. Drain pasta and return to pot. Pour sauce over pasta and mix well. Serve and garnish with avocado, tomato, green onion, and a dollop of sour cream.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







0 comments:
Post a Comment