Sunday, June 26, 2011

Good Eats: BOSTON Blue Chicken and Apple Salad

For those of you who are just DYING to find out which destination we've chosen for our summer vacation, you don't need to wait any longer - we are headed to Bean Town for 5 days of sightseeing, relaxing, and eating later this summer.  Stay tuned for summaries and pictures from our trip!

Now onto this week's Good Eats recipe.  Much to Jim's dismay (though I think that he secretly enjoys reading them), I often return from the grocery store with the latest copy of People magazine.  I know that I can subscribe to the magazine on my Nook Color, but it just isn't the same in electronic form!  Typically, I read an entire People before laying it to rest on our ottoman for the next month or two.  After some time has passed, I clean off the ottoman and recycle the stack of magazines that have called it a home.  I know - wasteful (at least I recycle!). 

After finding today's Good Eats recipe in a recent "special double issue" of the magazine, I just might hold onto this People for longer than a month or two.  This recipe comes from chef Rocco Dispirito, and promises to be "healthy but...indulgent".  Jim and I whipped up the salad for dinner tonight, and it made for a truly delicious but light summer meal. 

Recipe for:  Boston Blue Chicken and Apple Salad
From:  Rocco Dispirito in People

Ingredients:
4 6 oz. skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 heads Boston lettuce, leaves separated
2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
1/2 cup (about 2 oz.) crumbled reduced-fat blue cheese
1/4 cup bottled reduced-fat vinaigrette (We used balsamic vinaigrette)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
2 tablespoons chopped chives

Directions:
1.  Spray a grill pan with cooking spray and place over high heat.  (Or throw those breasts on the grill.)
2.  Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, and grill until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side.  Transfer to a platter and cover with foil.
3.  In a large bowl, combine lettuce, apples, blue cheese and vinaigrette (I kept the vinaigrette out until we added the chicken).  Toss and transfer to a serving bowl.
4.  Slice chicken into 1/2 inch thick slices.  Add to salad and top with walnuts and chives.

0 comments:

Post a Comment