Sunday, May 27, 2012

Good Eats: Almond Mandarin Salad

Since the babies arrived over a month ago, I have not had much time or energy to spend in the kitchen.  In fact, apart from grilled cheese sandwiches, soup, and macaroni and cheese, I have not cooked a meal.  The truth is - we haven't had to!  Jim and I have been very lucky to have received several meals and snacks from my co-workers, who created a "Meal Train" for us.  Meal Train is an interactive, online meal calendar for those going through significant life events and for those who wish to help them! 

Over the last four weeks, Jim and I have enjoyed each and every meal so kindly prepared for and delivered to us.  We think that we may have eaten better than we had before we had two newborns in the house!  We were both so impressed with the culinary talents of my friends and co-workers, who presented us with enchiladas, mostaccioli, kabobs, and more! 

Among our favorite dishes was this Almond Mandarin Salad brought to us by Anita, who is a first grade instructional assistant.  When I emailed her a note of thanks for the meal, I made sure to ask for the recipe.  It was a salad that even Jim enjoyed...the bacon may have had something to do with that. 

Sadly, it looks as though our meal train may have made its last stop over the weekend.  I guess it's time for us to start fending for ourselves again.  Thankfully, I froze a number of meals before the twins' arrival.  It's when we plow through those that we'll truly be hurtin'!

Recipe for:  Almond Mandarin Salad
From:  Anita

Ingredients:
1/4 cup vegetable oil  
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 bag of salad (mixed is best)
1/4 cup crumbled, cooked bacon
1/4 cup slivered almonds
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 can (11 oz.) mandarin oranges, drained
                            
Directions:
1.  Mix salad ingredients together and toss with dressing.  Serves 4-6.

0 comments:

Post a Comment