As Maddie and Will gained pounds and grew inches, the second month of their lives passed quickly. During the last four weeks, the twins became more alert and began to sleep less during the day. Unfortunately, that did not necessarily translate into longer hours of sleep at night. It did, however, mean more play, which Will seems to enjoy more than Maddie at this point. While Maddie may seem interested in play activities for 15 minutes before showing signs of tiring, Will often continues to kick, flail, and stretch long after Maddie has fallen asleep. Sometimes, in fact, Will stays awake right up until the next feeding. He's a regular party animal.
The second month brought many more smiles from both babies. Maddie typically passes out smiles liberally, while Will might make you work a bit for them. Maddie seems most engaged and alert when you talk to her or when others are holding a conversation around her - she loves to eavesdrop. Will's smiles appear most during play. He is also most likely to "talk" during playtime, while Maddie likes to coo and babble when she is being held or fed.
Jim and I are beginning to learn how to best soothe each baby, though there are certainly times when nothing works! When Maddie tires of play and begins to grow cranky, she simply wants a pacifier and her bouncer. As long as her pacifier doesn't pop out, she's good. When we first brought the twins home, Maddie was the one who needed to be held more often than her brother. Now, it seems as though Will has taken her place as the twin who needs the most cuddling. Over the last month, he has developed a need to be held on the shoulder or against the chest after feedings. With two to attend to, holding him after he eats is not always possible. We've learned that he likes to lay upside down on his Boppy at such times. When it's possible, Will also likes to be carried in the Baby Bjorn as I attempt to wash dishes or fold laundry. Both Maddie and Will have taken to their Sleep Sheep, and are calmed by its soothing sounds. Unfortunately, Bailey has also discovered the Sleep Sheep, and has made several attempts to steal it.
Jim and I introduced the twins to some of our favorite establishments this month - Buffalo Wild Wings, The Gingerbread House, Kopps, and Cocina Real. The babies have thankfully slept through the majority of our visits, allowing us to enjoy a meal in peace. We've learned some tricks for dining out with two babies - I typically enter the restaurant first while Jim waits in the car. I scope out the restaurant to see if seating is available before Jim hauls the babies inside. If outside seating (in the shade) is an option (as it was at The Gingerbread House), we choose to sit outside. If one or both of the babies should start fussing during the meal, we simply rock the car seat(s) with our feet while we continue eating. Before long, dining out with them won't be so easy, so we're taking advantage while we can!
I took the babies rummaging for the first time when we shopped the bargains at our subdivision rummage sale earlier in the month. The babies also made their first trips outside of the womb to Summit View, where we visited with the first graders on the last day of school. We returned the next day to participate in the traditional Mama Mia's lunch for staff.
Later today, we will pay a visit to the doctor for the babies' two-month appointment. Jim and I are curious to find out just how big the babies are now. They certainly feel and look heavier and longer - especially Will! That boy is a behemoth! I'm grateful that Jim is joining me for the visit, as the babies will receive several shots at the appointment. Considering that I began bawling during bath time a few weeks ago, I think that I'm going to have difficulty surviving today's appointment without tears!
I have recently discovered Picasa and the many editing and publishing features it has to offer. It was with the FREE program that I created the Father's Day photo as well as the photo collages that you see below. The collages partially tell the story of our second month: Sleep and play. I spared you the eating and pooping pictures. Just click on any of the collages to enlarge and view.
Month three, here we come!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










1 comments:
Thanks for the update! They are getting so big. How'd the appointment go today? I can't believe they are two months old already. Hope you're enjoying every moment of your maternity leave. ~Mindy
Post a Comment