Weeks twenty-two and twenty-three of 2013 have been so action-packed with decisions and changes that I am just now posting pictures from week twenty-two. It was during week twenty-two that I made the difficult decision to take a leave from teaching to stay home with the twins. I had been thinking about doing so over the last few months, but didn't pull the trigger on the decision until last week. I had been enjoying the balance between school and home that working part-time offered, but I never quite felt as though I was the teacher that I wanted to be this year. I didn't have the time that I once did to put everything that I wanted to into my teaching. Plus, it didn't make a whole lot of sense - I was working just to pay for childcare. And when difficulties in childcare arose, it didn't seem worth the trouble any longer. At school, we were being asked to move to different classrooms anyways, and a lot of changes were coming our way for the 2013-2014 school year. It just seemed to be time to make that decision.
I know that I will never regret the time that I spend with Maddie and Will over the next few years, but it was definitely hard to make the decision to leave the school that has been my home away from home for the last twelve years. My colleagues have become my dear friends. When I turn in my keys and walk away from the school with the big blue roof for the last time, I will leave those friends behind to continue the work that I have done for so long.
When I was mulling over the decision to leave, I consulted with a few friends who have made the same choice. They all reported no regret in their decision and much happiness in their new lives at home. They reminded me that I can always return to teaching, but that I will never again have the opportunity to spend these precious years with Maddie and Will. As my friend Jen wrote in a message to me, "One day you'll retire from teaching and say, 'I was a teacher', but you'll say you're a mom for the rest of your life."
I don't know that it will really sink in that I am not returning to teaching until fall, when my friends will leave their own babies in daycare to return to their classrooms. I'm sure that I'll miss teaching - at least initially. I definitely won't miss writing report cards, though...or that week before Christmas...or the parent who refuses to believe that his/her child is nothing but an angel...or...maybe I AM ready to take a leave from teaching after all!
Saturday, June 8, 2013
Project 365: Week Twenty-Two
Labels:
In the Yard,
Milestones,
Miss Maddie,
Photography,
School,
Twins,
Will.i.am
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







0 comments:
Post a Comment