Last night, I had the chance to visit friends Chris, Mike, and their newborn son, Ben, in the hospital. Benjamin Albert was born on Tuesday evening after stubbornly refusing to make an appearance by his due date last Thursday.
Holding Ben brought back memories of our first days home with Maddie and Will. I have to admit that I had a hard time leaving the hospital last night without taking a baby home with me. Though I definitely do not miss the sleep deprivation, I do so miss holding a newborn while he/she is quietly sleeping.
Jim and I were surprised when we realized that newborn babies don't do a whole lot. They sleep, eat, and poop. Their "activity" is confined to brief bouts of "play" on a blanket. So often, Maddie and Will slept right through their "activity time". Though we were certainly busy taking care of them, we really didn't have to do too much for them aside from feeding them and changing their diapers. They just didn't do much of anything.
In the video below, Maddie and Will, at just about 3 weeks old, are shown to be doing the "not much of anything" that newborns do. It's quite boring to watch, really. If you do watch it, you'll hear a lot of narration and won't see much action. But it captures Maddie and Will as the newborns that they once were.
Sadly, Jim and I have difficulty remembering Maddie and Will at this age. They've grown and changed into toddlers who don't even look like the infants that they once were, toddlers who scream in restaurants and break sliding patio screen doors, toddlers who refuse to get in their car seats and who throw their food on the floor, toddlers who are rarely held as they are sleeping.
I think I might want to borrow Ben for a while, Chris and Mike.







0 comments:
Post a Comment