Thursday, September 24, 2009

What a Difference a Year Makes

It was a year ago today that I underwent upper and lower jaw surgery to correct my bite and straighten my smile. Dr. Hawkins and his surgical team completed the procedure in a little over six hours. I spent the following two nights at Elmbrook hospital sucking down soup and lemon ice.

I returned home on Friday morning to spend most of the weekend on the couch or in bed. My head felt heavy and looked huge, but I was in little pain. Because of the swelling in my face, sleeping and eating were difficult. I also had to wear a splint on my upper jaw that essentially held it together. Rubber bands connecting the splint to my bottom braces kept me from opening my mouth wider than a few centimeters. I could open just enough to slide in a spoon! Without the ability to chew, I was forced to eat such delicious comfort foods as macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes with gravy, chocolate shakes, and chicken broth with noodles - and I still lost 10 lbs.!

With a substitute teacher and a student teacher at the helm of my classroom, I didn't venture too far from home for 2 1/2 weeks (I did manage to do $5000 in damage to Jim's car, however.). I enjoyed watching movies and television shows that I had recorded to watch during my stay at home (That's when I got hooked on Days of Our Lives.). I was also able to read a few books and magazines. Friends and family members stopped by with liquid treats and sources of entertainment.

I returned to teaching just 2 1/2 weeks after surgery. It was difficult for me to teach and talk while wearing the splint. My mouth drew many stares and questions from students! It was fortunate that I had a student teacher that could do much of the talking for me. Four weeks after surgery, the splint was removed. It felt so good to have it out of my mouth! Talking and eating became much easier.

The swelling in my face continued to subside over the following months. My surgeon had told me that it could take up to a year for the swelling to completely go down!

A year after surgery, I am now out of my braces and happy with my new smile! I have no regrets about undergoing jaw surgery, and am quite proud of myself for having done so.

If I didn't need to cope with a swollen head and face and a splint in my mouth, I might even undergo the procedure all over again just for a 2 1/2 week vacation from teaching, rapid weight loss, and for the close and constant attention from my husband!



Hours After Surgery


Day 1 Post-Op


Day 2 Post-Op


Day 3 Post-Op



Day 4 Post-Op


Day 5 Post-Op


Day 6 Post-Op




One Week Post-Op


Two Weeks Post-Op


Four Weeks Post-Op


Approximately 11 Months After Surgery


My New Smile! (11 Months After Surgery)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Becky, I can't believe that was a year already....the end results were definitely worth it.

Post a Comment