Sunday, March 21, 2010

Good Eats: No-Fuss Fajitas

Jim and I love fajitas! When making them at home, I typically use a fajita seasoning mix to spice up the skillet. Two weeks ago, I found the following recipe and thought I'd give it a try.

This recipe is definitely a keeper; I doubt that I'll ever make fajitas with seasoning packets again. The marinade gave the chicken and vegetables a smoky flavor similar to what you might encounter in restaurant fajitas.

The next time that I make fajitas, I think I'll double the recipe so that there's more to go around and plenty for leftovers!

Recipe for: No-Fuss Fajitas
From: Southern Living All-Time Favorite Chicken Recipes

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
3 skinned and boned chicken breast halves, cut into strips
6 (6-inch) flour tortillas
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 green or sweet red pepper, cut into strips
1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
Condiments: chopped tomato, green onions, lettuce, guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese, and picante sauce

Directions:
1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl; reserve 1 1/2 tablespoons marinade. Add chicken to remaining marinade in bowl; stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Drain chicken, discarding marinade.
2. Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil; bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
3. Heat oil in heavy skillet. Add chicken; cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons reserved marinade, pepper, and onion; cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove from heat.
4. Divide mixture evenly, and spoon a portion onto each tortilla. If desired, top with several condiments; then wrap.

0 comments:

Post a Comment