Sunday, July 18, 2010

Safeco Field


Last Sunday, Jim and I walked from our hotel to Safeco Field to watch the Seattle Mariners take on the New York Yankees. It wasn't much of a game(The Yankees slaughtered the Mariners.), but we had fun exploring the ballpark.

Our walk took us past the Seattle Art Museum and through Pioneer Square, the beautiful neighborhood that was once the heart of the city. Most of the neighborhood's earliest buildings were wooden and were claimed by the Great Seattle Fire of 1889. By 1890, buildings made from stone and brick were erected in place of those that were destroyed. Many of those 19th century structures still stand today.

We followed the crowd of baseball fans (many of them being supporters of the Yankees) past Qwest Field, home to the Seattle Seahawks and the Seattle Sounders and through the gates of Safeco Field. Once inside, we immediately smelled the garlic fries that we had heard we "must" eat while at the ballpark (As it turned out, the fries smelled better than they actually tasted!). We noted, too, an abundance of food and beverage choices in comparison to what is offered at Milwaukee's Miller Park. We passed a "Sweet Shop" filled with every kind of candy imaginable and a small wine bar featuring wines from local wineries.

It was interesting to see Japanese on the scoreboard and on signs throughout the stadium (Ichiro Suzuki plays for the Mariners)!

If you'll notice, the brim of Jim's hat is crooked. Every time he wears the hat, he reminds me that it is my fault that the brim is crooked. It's true - I ruined the hat when I wore it on a field trip to the farm. But, c'mon - must I constantly be reminded of it?!? I guess I owe him a hat. Would a baseball cap be a lame gift for a 9th wedding anniversary?

After the game, we joined the throngs of people headed out of the stadium and towards downtown Seattle.

0 comments:

Post a Comment