Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Semi-Homemade Christmas

Since high school, my friends Jenny, Shelly, Chris and I have celebrated Christmas together with dinner and a gift exchange of sorts.  Initially, we gathered together over fondue at one of our parents' homes (usually Shelly's).  Over the years, the tradition morphed several times.  In the last few years, we have simplified our celebration by going out for dinner and exchanging ornaments.  We would each bring one ornament and take one ornament home with us. 

Inspired by the crafts that I had pinned on Pinterest, I had suggested that we create homemade gifts for each other this year.  I thought that it was a great idea...until I had nothing prepared for the girls just days prior to our celebration!  I had plenty of ideas, but I hadn't brought any of them to fruition!  Finally, with just one day to go, I created and wrapped my "semi-homemade" (ala Sandra Lee) gifts:  Framed holiday subway art (found online), and the rolled paper ornament that I had created for others this season. 

This year, we met at Parkside 23 in Elm Grove.  The restaurant had been on my list of restaurants to check out for a while now, and I was anxious for our dinner! It didn't disappoint!  Sadly, Jenny couldn't join us for dinner, but Shelly, Chris, and I enjoyed our feast.  After dinner (and dessert, of course), we exchanged our gifts. 

Shelly was up first.  I was curious to see what she had made for us, as she had posted a complaint on Facebook just days earlier about a project taking longer than expected!  The project - handmade mittens made from wool sweaters - was worth the extra effort.  All of the mittens that Shelly made were beautiful, and I especially love my pair!  They were, however, a hard act to follow!  I presented the girls with my "semi-homemade" gifts next; next to Shelly's mittens, my gifts looked like elementary school projects.  Chris, who isn't one for crafting, carefully selected ornaments for each of us.  For me, she picked out an adorable snowman ornament perfect for my snowman tree! 

I would be willing to exchange homemade gifts again, but I might get an earlier start on them next year! Then again, I wouldn't be me if I didn't procrastinate!!!
Chris and I model our new wool mittens!

Traditionally, our Christmas picture is taken in front of a Christmas tree.   This year, we had to settle for a picture of 3 of the 4 of us in front of a reindeer. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment