Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Final Countdown


May the final countdown commence! After being in braces for nearly 2 years and undergoing upper and lower jaw surgery in September, my braces will finally be removed on August 12th!

I had hoped to hear such good news during my visit with my friendly orthodontist today. He said that my smile is as good as it's going to get, and that the braces could come off! I will go in on August 4th to be fitted for a retainer and to have some brackets removed. I'll need to return to the office on August 12th to have the remaining brackets removed, to try on my retainer, and to receive my complimentary bag of goodies (Every time I visit the orthodontist, I notice bags containing taffy, chips, candy bars, and other foods on the shelf. It will finally be my turn to receive a bag of treats!).

Once my braces come off and to complete my new smile, I will have my teeth whitened. I will also need to go in for a root canal on the one casualty of the surgery. One of my canines has turned gray. My orthodontist suspects that its root was damaged during surgery (I'll take a dead tooth over other possible surgery risks - permanent nerve damage, drooling, pain, etc.

My orthodontist showed me my "before" pictures today. It is truly amazing how my face, profile, and bite have changed (and improved)!

The final countdown begins! I'm on my way to a new, brace-free me!

As this countdown begins, another comes to an end! Tomorrow is my last day (ever) of teaching summer school classes! Do the dance of joy!

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Congrats Becky! It is the best feeling ever to have your braces removed...no more of your braces catching your lip. (I just loved when that would happen)

Shelly said...

Yay Becky! Is there any food that you can't wait to have that you haven't been able to eat?

Mtbkr said...

Groovy!

dria said...

Balki B., let the dance of joy begin!!

Post a Comment