Monday, July 27, 2009

Brewers vs. Reds: Game 3

I will wrap up the Cincinnati entries with this last post of commentary about and pictures from Saturday night's game. But first: a story about our brush with a celebrity (there's always at least one from our travels).

On Saturday, Jim and I slept in while Mike and Chris met with Deanna, Chris' friend and longtime penpal from Kentucky. The three of them took a tour of Great American ball park. After the tour, Jim and I picked up Mike and drove to Montgomery Inn at the Boathouse, where we were hoping to enjoy some good barbecue. We noticed when we arrived that the parking lot looked empty, but we proceeded to the entrance. Just inside the entrance to the restaurant was a tall, white-haired gentleman who Mike and Jim immediately recognized to be Brewers manager Ken Macha. We said "hello" and "go get 'em tonight" and began to walk past him to the hostess stand when he told us that they weren't open for lunch. Shocked that the famous barbecue restaurant near the stadium wouldn't be open for lunch, I said, "You're kidding." Macha retorted, "No, I'm not kidding. Otherwise I'd be in there eating my lunch." Sassy! I think the skipper was pretty miffed about not getting any barbecue and being stranded at the closed restaurant until he was picked up again!

We weren't sure that Macha's disposition bode well for that night's game, but the Brewers were able to pull off another win that night. We had to sit through a rain delay to see the game to its completion, however. When rain began to fall during the 7th innning, we donned our ponchos and prepared to wait it out. Brewers fans held up signs reading, "Where's the roof?" and "Close the roof!" It began to rain harder, and an official rain delay was called. Everyone headed to the concourse to dry off and...wait. When the game eventually began again, most fans had left. One group of Reds fans remained behind the Reds dugout, and a loud and rowdy group of Brewers fans supported their team behind the Brewers dugout.

By the time the game was over, it was after midnight and we were wiped. Any hopes to go out and celebrate after the win were squashed by the rain delay and the long evening.

We had lots of fun following the Brewers to Cincinnati! We are already planning our next Brewers road trip for the summer of 2010!

1 comments:

Jj said...

How cool!
Have you guys headed to St. Louis yet? My dad and I went there last season and were very impressed with the stadium and the fans (well most of them!:) ) Plus the drive isn't bad at all!

Post a Comment