Saturday, January 23, 2010

Spoons


While at the Summit View Staff Holiday Party last night, I rediscovered the card game called "Spoons" that I played so often with friends during my high-school years (I can just picture playing the game with Jenny, Shelly, and Chris at the Turk's kitchen table.). After we had noshed on hot apps and mingled amongst colleagues, some friends and I began talking about the game. We grabbed a deck of cards and headed over to a banquet table to play. The only problem: none of us could remember exactly how the game was played (other than the fact that spoons were involved)!

We whipped out the Blackberry phones and searched for the rules of the game while one of S.V.'s art teachers filled us in on the rules that she abides by when she plays. For those of you unfamiliar with the game, Spoons is played with a pack of playing cards and several kitchen spoons. The game is played in multiple rounds and each player's objective is to be the first in the round to have four of a kind, or to not be the last to grab a spoon. Once one spoon is taken, everybody attempts to get the remaining spoons. The game is fast-paced and intense. Once a spoon is taken from the middle of the table, the game can also become quite vicious, as it is an all-out war over the remaining spoons!

After several rounds of the game, I was proud to have not been left without a spoon once! It must have been my lucky night, as I also won one of the evening's door prizes! Eventually, I pulled myself out of the game when it became too intense for my liking. My head and jaw hurt from clenching my teeth during play!

When we found the definition of the card game on the internet last night, we laughed when reading that Spoons is most popular among children and teenagers. The group of teachers playing Spoons had just as much fun playing a children's game as we did when we were younger - and we now have the bumps, bruises, and scratches from playing the game to prove it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment