
Grocery shopping is a far easier task now than it used to be, when I would need to lug bags of groceries up to our second-floor apartment. In college, it was an even more difficult task; I did little to no grocery shopping while living in the dorms, and depended upon Jim to drive me to the grocery store on the weekend once I moved off-campus.
While grocery shopping is an easier task now that I have my own vehicle and I no longer need to carry bags up stairs, it is still a most dreaded chore. I believe that I despise grocery shopping perhaps more than any other household chore for the reasons I detail below:
1. The delapidated and dirty shopping carts: Not only are the shopping carts riddled with germs and debris left behind by previous shoppers, it is often that I choose a cart that is on its last wheel. Last weekend, I happened to select a cart with wheels from which much of the rubber tread had worn, causing my cart to wobble and announce to everyone in the store that I was coming.
2. The god-awful music: I don't know why grocery stores must insist on playing the worst music known to man. At our local Sentry store, I recently heard a Phil Collins song followed by "Fame". Really? They can't find any music more current or more pleasant?
3. The people: From the parents who can't control their children to the people that are oblivious to others and block the entire aisle, the people at grocery stores infuriate me!
4. The sprayers in the produce department: Without any warning, the sprayers at our local Pick n' Save douse any person unfortunate enough to be shopping for cucumbers or lettuce at the wrong time. Moreover, because the sprayers turn on every 15 minutes, the produce is sopping wet when you put it in your cart!
5. The line at the deli: If I am shopping on a Saturday, I am faced with a wait behind at least 6 others who wish to order their cold-cuts. There is no ticket system in place either, so it is always confusing as to whose turn might be next.
6. Products available: It never fails that there are always 1 or 2 items that I need for recipes that the store does not have, which means that I will need to make a return trip to the store later in the week. And remember, I HATE grocery shopping, so a return trip means more grocery shopping!
7. The cost: I'm always flabbergasted at the amount that I spend at the grocery store. To buy ingredients for the week's meals in addition to any necessary basics (water, juice, etc.), I easily spend over $100. For 2 people! I remember shopping with my mom when I was younger. She would spend $100 on 5 people for the week! I know that prices have increased, but I must be a bad shopper that I spend as much as I do each week.
8. The check-out lines: The lines at the local Pick n' Save often get so long that people and carts congest the main aisle at the front of the store. I'm usually in a line behind at least 5 people, all with carts filled to the brim.
9. The stockers: Why is it that the employees must stock the shelves at the busiest times of the day? I appreciate that they are trying to keep the shelves filled with food, but can't they stock the shelves early in the morning or late at night? They get in the way!
10. The domino effect: The worst part of grocery shopping is that it leads to more unpleasant tasks: unloading the groceries, putting the groceries away, cleaning out the refrigerator and pantry, taking out the trash, doing the dishes, putting the dishes away, cooking...
Peapod is looking more and more appealing to me the more I go grocery shopping!







4 comments:
Becky, I need to add one you forgot...bagging your own groceries when there are baggers available but they are talking and goofing around and their manager isn't paying attention.
Also slow checkers...
And finally, how Pick n' Save won't give you the discount without your actual card like other stores do...whatever...sorry, I forget my card sometimes!
I also hate grocery shopping and Jamie would often come home to an empty fridge. I would rather eat microwave popcorn for dinner than go to the grocery store. I just hate how much it costs and then to see it go in the garbage because I didn't eat it before it went bad. Now Jamie and I go shopping together and we try to make sure we don't buy too much so we can eat everything.
I have never noticed the music in the grocery store before though. Maybe the County Market doesn't play any?
I too went to the PNS this Saturday...wrong move! Packed. Old ladies with nothing better to so, so many oblivious people... I love all the crap displays they have in each aisle...making it even harder to manuever your way thru. Not to mention how I curse everytime I have to backtrack because I missed something on my list!!!
Ugh. I hate grocery shopping. Can I add to your list?
- Baggers that put the produce at the bottom so it's all squished when you get home.
- I'm boycotting PNS now because (at least the one on Silvernail) will only give you a bag refund if you bring their Roundy's brand reusable bags. Puh-lease, if you are trying to promote environmental friendliness, don't make me spend MORE money on MORE non-consumable goods (i.e. your bags) when I already have my own, just to save five cents. I've already been with the green movement for sometime, bringing my own bags. You should be paying me ten cents, because I thought of it before you, Roundy's!
Post a Comment