
The long relationship that Jim and I have shared with Blockbuster will soon come to an end. After we return our latest rentals (Tropic Thunder and Nights in Rodanthe), Jim and I will no longer return to Blockbuster. Instead, we will turn to Video on Demand to meet our movie rental needs.
This separation comes as a result of Blockbuster's new rental and return policies. When I visited the local Blockbuster to rent movies yesterday, I was told that there were charges on my account. I assumed that there was a small fine on my account because we had returned our last rentals a week late. For the last few years, Blockbuster advertised a "No More Late Fees" policy; if you were late returning a movie, you were only charged a small "restocking fee" if it was returned within a 30-day period. Things have changed, my friends. The Blockbuster employee told me that I owed $16.00 for the two movies that were returned late. Apparently, they now charge $1.00 per day per movie for all movies that are overdue! Luckily, I was able to cover the late charges with a gift card from one of my students.
After paying my fines, it came time to pay for my rentals. The employee asked if I wanted the movies overnight or for 5 days. He explained that I could rent the four DVDs at $5.00 a piece for 5 days or for $2.00 per movie for 2 days. $5.00 per movie?!? Ich don't think so! I asked him to only charge me for 2 of the 4 movies that I wanted to rent (I figured that I'd get what I came for), and told him that I would not be returning to Blockbuster.
So, if you are a Blockbuster patron, be forewarned! Their policies have changed, and I don't think that they advertised the changes at all.
I think that Jim and I will be happier with renting from our Video on Demand available through U-Verse. It couldn't be more convenient - you can rent and watch a movie without leaving the comfort of the couch! Plus, there aren't any late fees!
This separation comes as a result of Blockbuster's new rental and return policies. When I visited the local Blockbuster to rent movies yesterday, I was told that there were charges on my account. I assumed that there was a small fine on my account because we had returned our last rentals a week late. For the last few years, Blockbuster advertised a "No More Late Fees" policy; if you were late returning a movie, you were only charged a small "restocking fee" if it was returned within a 30-day period. Things have changed, my friends. The Blockbuster employee told me that I owed $16.00 for the two movies that were returned late. Apparently, they now charge $1.00 per day per movie for all movies that are overdue! Luckily, I was able to cover the late charges with a gift card from one of my students.
After paying my fines, it came time to pay for my rentals. The employee asked if I wanted the movies overnight or for 5 days. He explained that I could rent the four DVDs at $5.00 a piece for 5 days or for $2.00 per movie for 2 days. $5.00 per movie?!? Ich don't think so! I asked him to only charge me for 2 of the 4 movies that I wanted to rent (I figured that I'd get what I came for), and told him that I would not be returning to Blockbuster.
So, if you are a Blockbuster patron, be forewarned! Their policies have changed, and I don't think that they advertised the changes at all.
I think that Jim and I will be happier with renting from our Video on Demand available through U-Verse. It couldn't be more convenient - you can rent and watch a movie without leaving the comfort of the couch! Plus, there aren't any late fees!







3 comments:
I think I am going to owe a chunk of change. I thought for sure when I rented a few movies at 5:00 pm Friday night that I could watch and return them by 10:00 pm Saturday night...so I went with the overnight rental cost. Well, life got in the way and I returned them this morning before the store even opened. So, I'm sure I'll have a fine waiting for me.
I was also told that their "Rewards" year long program price is doubling next month. So, I am considering Netflix...it seems more reasonable.
I doubt Blockbuster will be in business much longer. We use netflix and redbox. For those that don't know, redbox is a DVD vending machine that costs $1.00/movie/night. So convienent and cheap. Look them up, there might be one near you!
Wow, talk about bad customer service! I'll admit it...I am a netflix gal myself -- mainly due to laziness, but it does work well!
Post a Comment