Yesterday afternoon, my mom and I made our annual pilgramage to the Wisconsin State Fair. This year, we braved the Fair grounds on opening day. With a donation of non-perishable food items, we were each admitted to the Fair for only $2!
Once we were on the grounds, my mom and I took in many of the sights and sounds of the Fair. We watched a representative from Usinger's beat out all of his competition in a potato-eating contest, and agreed that we each could have put down a potato faster than some of the contenders. We cheered on a group of grannies dancing to hip-hop music in the Golden Idol contest while we simultaneously tried our hand at the State Fair pull-tabs (No luck this year). We watched the racing pigs and the racing billy goats run towards the finish line for a prize of cheese doodles. We visited the cows and the Clydesdale horses, and peeked into the coliseum during the judging of Clydesdales. We admired the beauty of the flowers and the sizes and shapes of the vegetables in the Horticulture, Craft, and Culinary Pavilion. We watched people. We even saw Elvis!
But who are we kidding? The reason that we went to the Fair and the reason for our return next year and every year after that is the FOOD. There's the baked potatoes and the Saz's mozzarella sticks, the buffalo burritos and the cream puffs, the big pickles and the fried cheese! After my mom stopped for a burger and fries at the Charcoal Grill, we headed to the Wisconsin Products Pavilion for our baked potatoes. I washed mine down with a refreshing glass of freshly squeezed lemonade. After the potato, I enjoyed a spicy buffalo burrito. From the Wisconsin Products Pavilion, we set out to find the chocolate covered bacon that has everyone talking. I had to try some. It wasn't hard to find the bacon - everyone standing outside of The Machine Shed tent had chocolate all over their faces! The chocolate covered treat was messy! After carefully eating one strip of my chocolate covered bacon, I decided that I didn't need to eat the other that was sold to me. Chocolate is good, and bacon is good, but the two together was...interesting. I am glad that I had a beer to wash the snack down! One would think that after that treat I would be finished - nope! I put down two of Saz's mozzarella sticks, and could have gone for a cup of Herb Kohl's chocolate milk if the line hadn't been so long. The line for cream puffs was also ridiculously long, so I didn't get to sample any of those sweet pastries either.
I will be returning to the Fair next week, when Jim and I go to The Wallflowers concert. I'm already thinking about what I will eat then - and my braces will be off, too! Corn on the cob, here I come!
My mom sits down to enjoy her baked potato.
I devour my buffalo burrito.
Meal of champions: beer and chocolate covered bacon.
Elvis is in the building!







0 comments:
Post a Comment