Sunday, August 9, 2009

Good Eats: Chocolate-Dipped Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats

With my braces scheduled to be removed in just 3 short days, my thoughts are focused on the food that I will be able to eat afterwards. My orthodontist warned me that I will not feel like chewing too much in the first few days of my new smile, as my teeth will be sore. Still, I can't help but dream of the treats that I will be able to enjoy post-braces. There are many foods that I haven't eaten in over 2 years! Some, I haven't missed (ex. taffy). Yet there are others that I can't wait to sink my teeth into again (ex. ribs, corn on the cob). It will be interesting to see if I return to chewing gum once again. I can't say that I've missed it much. It is a habit that sometimes gets on my nerves (I can't stand the sound of someone chewing gum loudly), and just the thought of it now tires out my jaws. I think I'll stick to mints.

With my mind on sticky, chewy foods, I thought I'd share a recipe for a treat that I hope to enjoy in the next few weeks. I've never made these particular treats before, but they sound much like the traditional Rice Krispies treats but with the added goodness of peanut butter and chocolate. Enjoy!

Recipe for: Chocolate-Dipped Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats
From: Good Morning America recipes

Ingredients:
1/2 stick unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the dish
10 ounces jumbo marshmallows
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (recommended: Jif or Skippy)
6 cups crispy rice cereal (recommended: Rice Krispies)
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Melt the butter over low heat in a large pot. Stir in the marshmallows and cook until fully melted and no marshmallow white remains.
2. Stir in the peanut butter until combined.
3. Stir in the cereal until distributed evenly through the marshmallow mixture. Pour out into a lightly greased 9 by 13 inch rectangular baking dish. Smooth out the top of the treats by moistening your hands with a little water and using the palms of your hands to press down gently. Don't press down too hard or else your treats will be too dense.
4. Set aside to cool. Once the treats have cooled, melt the chocolate over low heat. Cut the treats into even squares. Shallowly dip the top side of each of the treats into the chocolate. Turn the treats so that they are chocolate side up and place them in a baking dish or on a rack until set.

0 comments:

Post a Comment