Monday, August 31, 2009

Ready or Not

I have spent the last several days preparing my classroom for the 22 children that will soon sit at the tables and play with the toys. Although there is more that I would have liked to accomplish by now (there always seems to be more work to be done), the students are coming! Tomorrow is my first day with my 2009-2010 kindergarten class.

I had the opportunity to meet my students during an Open House event last Thursday evening. The little ones all seemed very sweet, but of course, they don't usually show their true colors until a few days into the school year.

I went into school today to tie up a few loose ends before the official start to the school year. In my mailbox, I found peppermint oil body wash and a card printed with the following poem:

Wake Up, Mrs. Auerbach!


The teacher who sleeps in
And wakes feeling groggy
Has a hard time the first week
'Cause her brain is so foggy.

The teacher who wakes up
With snap and with zest
Will have a great year
Perhaps, even her best.

But teachers have worked hard
Moving desks, labeling hooks
And trying to apply
What they've learned in new books.

For weeks they've been thinking
How they'll change this or that.
When it's close, they don't sleep well.
Awake again? Drat!!!

The alarms wake them up
To the showers they stumble
It's the first week of school
Teachers better not fumble!

A boost is what's needed!
Coffee's not what I mean!
I'm thinking of mint
As you get yourself clean.

So here's a little something
To help you to arise
And greet each brand new school day
Before you open your eyes.

The card and gift were from one of my new students and her family. What a fun idea! I may be in need of the minty boost from the body wash tomorrow morning - I'm tired tonight, and I'm sure waking will be difficult in the morning!

0 comments:

Post a Comment