Tuesday, June 23, 2009

In our Backyard

Jim and I spent Sunday afternoon in our backyard. While Jim mowed the lawn, I weeded our vegetable garden and flower beds. Weeds seemed to have sprouted and grown quickly after Friday night's rain. While in the vegetable garden, I noted the yellow blossoms on our tomato plants, and the white blossoms on our pepper plants. We hope to make better use of our vegetables from the garden this year. Last year, we were afraid to eat many of our veggies after Jim sprayed a wasp's nest located inside our garage light; much of the repellant dripped onto our tomato plants.



In the flower bed bordering our patio, I just had to stop and admire the beautiful Delphiniums. I love the colors on the flowers. If you look closely, you can see that the petals are striped.

After weeding the garden and beds, I filled our bird feeders with the last of the seed from the bag. It seems that I am refilling our feeders every four days. The birds in our neighborhood are pigs! And so far, I haven't seen any pretty birds come by - only the ugly blackbirds and the ordinary finches have visited our feeders.

Later in the day, I took Bailey out to do his 'thang and was startled by a rustling in the bushes. When I turned to look for the source of the noise, I found that the frightened toad pictured below had hopped out onto our patio. It attempted to hop away from me and to safety, but found itself trapped against the house. With a little prodding, the toad hopped away and into the bushes once again. Silly toad!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I swear Becky, I am filling my bird feeder every other day!! They are pigs! But I do believe we also have racoons eating it! Found racoon poo twice in my yard now! And the top of the feeder has been off too!

Jj said...

I'm so jealous of your tomatoes! Mine have no blooms, although the plants seem to be doing well. Pretty pretty flowers!

Post a Comment